The Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library is looking for a manager to oversee our safety and security staff, services and operations, and creating a welcoming atmosphere for our customers and staff. The manager is responsible for implementing and enforcing safety and security policies and procedures, responding to emergency situations and requests for safety assistance, writing and investigating incident reports, securing library property and developing emergency response procedures and disaster response planning.
We are looking for demonstrated excellence in the areas of customer service, leadership, planning and development, and relationship building. You will be responsible for the hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of up to 8 direct reports.
- Associates degree or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in public safety/law enforcement or social services or another relevant field.
- Supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of safety and security standards and regulations for a public industry, including state and local laws.
- Knowledge of mental health first aid and trauma-informed practices.
- Ability to assess potential problem situations and deescalate them without disruption of library services.
- Demonstrated ability to direct and supervise the work of others through effective leadership, supervisory, and team building techniques.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office productivity software and other software applications.
- Experience with budget development and administration.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and changing priorities, and to bring complex issues to resolution.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with customers, staff, vendors, social services agencies, local fire and police.
- Empathy such as ability to build rapport, listen, understand customer and coworker’s needs, and ability to see multiple perspectives.
- Ability to effectively present in a variety of settings.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer services skills required with the ability to interact effectively and patiently with all customer age groups.
- Must be available to work a varied schedule of 40 hours per week, which includes evening shifts, and rotating days, evenings, and weekends.
- Valid transportation and ability to travel to other library branches. Must possess a valid Ohio driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- Interviews, hires, evaluates, schedules and trains library security staff.
- Reviews, recommends and writes security and emergency related policies and procedures. Responsible for updating and maintaining the Library’s Emergency Manual.
- Patrols buildings and grounds for security risks and enforcement of library rules and regulations. Conducts fire drills.
- Assists staff to prevent and manage incidents that violate our Code of Conduct or risks that endanger employees and customers.
- Performs safety and security inspections, analyzes incident reports and prepares written reports of findings and recommendations for corrective or preventive measures.
- Conducts post-accident investigation and prepares reports identifying possible accident causes and hazards for use by senior management.
- Manages the installation and operation of electronic security systems such as surveillance cameras, keyless door systems and alarm systems.
- Plans and implements training for all employees on safety and security related topics, including training for all new hires.
- Monitors and analyzes costs and prepares department budget. Maintains safety files and records.
Heights Libraries began its mission to serve the community in 1916. We have grown and expanded significantly in the intervening years, but our founding ideals of providing outstanding library services, staff, and facilities has not changed. Our customers’ needs are our first priority. Our goal is to anticipate and fulfill those needs to provide our customers with a unique and rewarding library experience. We strive to be a community gathering place and provide an environment where all are welcome.
Benefits and Salary
Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (we pay 4% of your 10% required contribution), vacation/sick time, and 10 paid holidays. We offer medical, dental, vision, life, long term disability plans and 6 weeks of paid parental leave. Starting salary is $53,456 to $66,830. Starting salary commensurate with experience and skills.